Sunday, October 23, 2016

Level Design Assignment 02: MineCraft Level!

This week, we were tasked with creating our own textures in Photoshop to make MineCraft-esque blocks and build another level. I decided to work on another level replica, this time from one of my favorite games of all time, the original Spyro the Dragon. I picked the very first world in the game, the Artisan's Home, and tried to replicate it as best as I could with MineCraft blocks.

First, we used the same cube as we did last assignment. Then, we had to figure out how to make textures. I ended up making 8 different textures, and below you can see the texture I made for a grassy block with a stone pathway on top.


Next, I had to take those textures and turn them into materials. I decided to give water another shot since I had a better understanding of how to do it this time, and here you can see my process. It turned out looking a lot better this time around.


Next, I took a top-down approach and laid out how I wanted the basic shape of the level to look.


Next, I worked the part of the level the player starts at, the bridge! I didn't construct the crystallized dragon, but I did add a pedestal later to indicate where it would be.



I then went in and added a few more features, like hills, the lake, and a hedge maze, as well as a building.


The last thing I did was added a few more building structures, a stone path, and a wall around everything to make it feel like a real level.


Then came the building of the lights and the skybox to get a proper feel for the level. It's the first level, so it's supposed to be bright and inspiring, but also tranquil. Here is what the level looks like in game:



And here is my final level! I'm really happy with it; it actually feels good to run around in and I feel like it's Spyro!








Below is a video of playing in the level!




No comments:

Post a Comment